Thursday, November 19, 2009

Long time, no blog!


Can you believe I actually painted this?!?!?! Martha would be so proud! We have this place in Mobile called Paint Party Studios and you can choose a painting to paint in about 2-ish hours. I thought it was going to be a fancy "paint-by-numbers" thing, but it wasn't. They sketched the lighthouse on a blank canvas and had a plate with all the different acrylic paint colors I would need, but I had to mix the colors to my liking for the painting. This is the color I wish the bay was... It took me about 3.5 hours to do this, but don't worry they were nice and didn't kick us out. I went with my friend, Melanie, and she painted one as well. This is the Middle Bay Lighthouse here in Mobile and I think it is such a unique lighthouse. As I was working on it, I thought maybe I should have chosen something less complex, but oh well. I also thought it would be fun to make it more of a sunset picture than their example. There was only one moment where I thought I was going to have to call it "the burning of mobile bay"... Anyway, it was very fun and I would love to take Mom there next time she is in town.

Andy and I had a fun impromptu weekend in Nashville last weekend. We went to see Nashville Opera's performance of The Fall of the House of Usher by Phillip Glass. Other than studying Phillip Glass in 20th century music class at Jewell, it made me think of that Christmas episode of South Park... If you have seen that episode, you know what I mean. It was 2 hours of repetitive minor thirds. On the other hand, it was actually a really cool production with these awesome video projections as the set. That was the reason we wanted to see it. The same lighting designer is doing the video projections for Mobile Opera's Flying Dutchman in March.

Next week the holidays begin and we are really excited to see the fam in Tulsa. It will be a fun week with my b-day kicking it off!!! Too bad there aren't any good restaurants open on Mondays in Mobile. I guess Andy will just have to cook for me... Tonight he made some chicken noodle soup. I think it might be getting cold here...just kidding, we haven't even turned on our heat once yet. Ahhh, the Gulf Coast! We did get to use our chiminea for the first time last month. We made taco soup and toasted marshmallows in the chiminea.

We wish you all a Happy Turkey Day!

No comments: